Semi continius tandem mill, Salzgitter, Germany
Conversion of an existing batch tandem mill to a semi-continuous tandem mill.
- Date: June 2011
- Customer: Salzgitter Flachstahl GmbH, Salzgitter, Germany
- Project Type: Level 1 – automation, technological controls and level 2 system
About the Project
In June 2011, pa-innovations received the order from Salzgitter Flachstahl GmbH in Salzgitter, Germany to convert the level 1 automation, the technological controls and the level 2 systems for the modification of the existing discontinuous tandem mill to a semi-continuous tandem mill.
The scope of supply of pa-innovations included:
- the technological controls (thickness control, tension control, speed control, flatness control),
- the entire level 2 system,
- the conventional controls (manipulators, media, etc.), and
- the safety control
of the tandem mill.
The reason to choose pa-innovations as a technology supplier was based in the knowledge of the existing automation system and on the special skills
- with regard to “flying gauge change” when changing the strip dimension as well as the weld seam rolling,
- to reduce the off-gauge lengths, especially at the beginning and end of the strip for the special case of semi-continuous operation,
- in the concept for inter-stand tension control,
- to optimize the setup model to increase the incoming hot strip thickness by 10%,
- to increase production throughput and
- in the definition of the signal interfaces between the tandem mill and the new continuous entry.
For all these tasks pa-innovations was able to offer convincing solutions, which were ultimately the key to the project’s success. In addition, pa-innovations, as a PCS7 specialist, was appointed to define the PCS7-based automation solutions together with the supplier of the new entry parts and to program and commission them in a joint team.
The project was carried out by a high qualified team with many years of experience in the automation of pickling tandem mills. A comprehensive integration test of the new automation solutions was carried out before the plant shutdown. The shut-down for the entire renovation was over a period of two weeks. The first rolled and saleable coil was produced two days before the plant was scheduled to start.